There are only a few places in the world where you can experience the bioluminescence. Bio Bay, located in Grand Cayman of the Cayman Islands, is one of these places. You may be wondering what exactly are bioluminescence. Well bioluminescent plankton is an organism that emits light when moved and mixed with air. This movement causes oxidation which releases the glow you will see in the water. Each organism stores energy from the sun all day just to release this glow just once per night. Making an awesome activity to partake in during your stay here in Grand Cayman.
With your own private charter to view the bioluminescent, you are able to get into the water, setting off your own light reaction as you swim through the Bio Bay. We highly recommend putting on a mask and snorkel during your visit here for a whole new experience. To look under the water as you move your arms through the bioluminescence, watching the tiny, green glowing plankton bounce away from your hands, is truly a magical experience. These bioluminescent are only visible during certain times of each month due to the different moon phases. Please check below to see if the bioluminescene will be visible during your visit to Grand Cayman.
Bioluminescent Visibility Schedule
Below you can view which dates the bioluminescence will be visible during each month and the tour options available.
- June (2022) : 16th – 30th
- July (2022) : 1st – 3rd ; 16th – 31st
- August (2022) : 1st & 2nd ; 14th – 31st
- September (2022) : 12th – 29th
- October (2022) : 12th – 29th
- November (2022) : 10th – 27th
- December (2022) : 10th – 26th
- January (2023) : 9th – 25th
- February (2023) : 8th – 23rd
- March (2023) : 10th – 25th
- April (2023) : 8th – 24th
- May (2023) : 8th – 23rd
This private charter to Bio Bay is available on our boat, the Big Show, only. Although the Bioluminescence is a customizable stop option, due to this option needing to be viewed at a time that is very dark, there are set times below. Please contact us directly to customize a start time for full day, 6 & 8 hour charters. Other tour time options are as follows:
- 3hr Private Charter to Visit Bio Bay Plus 1 Customizable Stop: This private tour is $750 USD, beginning at 6pm – 9pm.
- 4hr Private Charter to Visit Bio Bay Plus 2 Customizable Stops: This private tour is $850 USD, beginning at 5pm – 9pm.
A few customizable stops options available are Stingray City, Starfish Point, various Snorkel locations, a tubing stop option and a stop for dinner at a beachside restaurant. Click here to view all of our stop options available.